Fruit of choice*: 6 C.
Water Kefir or whey: 6 tablespoons
Organic sugar or honey: 3-6 tablespoons
Sea salt: ¾ teaspoons
Water, non-chlorinated: As needed
- Pack the fruit into a clean half gallon mason jar or crock.
- Combine the next three ingredients and mix until combined. If using sugar, mix until the the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the fruit in the jar or crock.
- Top off with water, using just enough to cover the fruit.
- Weight down the fruit to ensure that it is completely submerged.
- Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Once fermentation is complete, refrigerate the fruit and use within 2 months. The fruit will continue to ferment in refrigeration, just more slowly.
*Any type or combination of fruit may be used. If using larger fruit, be sure to cut the fruit into pieces as uniform as possible. Organic frozen fruit blends also work well for this recipe.
Puree and use as sauce
Freeze puree in molds for popsicles